20.11.04

15 G's of awesome

i've told some about Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. it's that lake somewhere in western massachusetts that, aside from having the longest place name in the country (45 letters, typically), is one of those lakes you know about growing up in the bay state. and everyone knows what the name means:

"you fish on your side of the lake, i'll fish on my side of the lake, and nobody fishes in the middle."

well, it doesn't actually mean that, but i'll tell my kids one day just like my dad told me. only i'll probably add a qualifier because i'm bad at dishonesty. not that my dad knew he was wrong or anything.

so today the New York Times has an article entirely devoted to Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg! (you say it basically how it's spelled) so i thought i should share it with all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Saw your blog today as I was surfing to find any mention of Lake Chargog....you know!!! Anyway, I have a post card from the Lake (I guess I passed thru Webster, Ma.) from around 1970 somewhere in my Dad's house and I was relating the story to my kids of my travels and how it was the longest name I had ever seen and well...there y' go!! Now, thanks to you, they are believers!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete